Friday, December 18, 2015

My Favorite Knits: Saroyan

I knit as often as possible. I love it. To sit with some sticks and string and basically make art just makes my heart happy. Plus, I can binge watch all of my favorite Netflix shows while I'm knitting. See, multi-tasking!!

Such fun to knit!
There's tons of research on how knitting, or any needlecraft, is really good for you in lots of ways. Here is a link to a Washington Post article about benefits of knitting on cognitive functions and even in illnesses that impair motor function. It's truly amazing what the repetition and click of some needles can do for your mood. It is absolutely my go to when I'm stressed or cranky.

All finished and ready to wear!
This particular pattern is one of my favorites of all time. The Saroyan from Liz Abinante. It's a simple shawl/scarf that knits up quickly and is beautiful to watch growing from your needles. I would say that an adventurous beginner could easily knit this up. The body of the shawl is a simple stockinette and the leaves are knit as you go, rather than being added later. It is knit in a heavier weight yarn (mine is in Madeline Tosh DK, hosta blue) so it goes pretty quickly.

It's so versatile that I've worn it most of the autumn and will continue to wear it into the winter! I can wrap it several times to wear like a scarf or let the width wrap around my shoulders for more of a shawl feel. Here's my finished one!

Have you tried this pattern? Share yours in the comments!





3 comments:

  1. I love this!! You make me want to knit because you make it look like such fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! You make me want to knit because you make it look like such fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love knitting! And for me, it was a pretty easy skill to pick up!

    ReplyDelete