Sunday, December 27, 2015

You Want to Start a PTA in Your School?

Here's how I became involved in PTA. Last year, when P was in kindergarten, I paid my dues and never went to another meeting. Well, I don't even know if there WAS another meeting, but that's a different story. P started a brand new school this year, it wasn't even completely finished this August when the doors opened. It's beautiful and has so much incredible technology, we absolutely love it.

Anyhow, during a school tour, I asked who to speak with about joining the PTA. I was told there wasn't one yet. That lots of parents had expressed interest, but no one had offered to head up the process of getting it started. I'm not exactly sure what came over me that day. I mentioned above that I had only ever been to one meeting. Yeah. I offered to do it.

As you come to know me, you'll find that I tend to commit to things before I think them through, and then completely immerse myself in whatever I've just jumped into. I started researching that evening, I filled a 3 inch binder with as much information as I could find. What I found is that National PTA lays everything out for you. It is fantastic. But it's not all on the pta.org website. There's a sister site that walks you through all of the positions, all of the paperwork, and all of the expectations,

We'll get you started with the basics today. Here is a link to the history of the PTA. I urge you to understand how and why the PTA was founded, it will help guide you in the development of your school's PTA. After you've learned a little about the history, this website has the real meat and potatoes on exactly what you need to do to get started.

I will say that it is a lot of paperwork. A lot. But, it's totally worth it. Planning events and fundraisers, talking to teachers about their needs and wants, working to make sure that all of our kids are getting what they need... it makes my heart happy.

As we move forward in the school year, I'll be sharing what works and what doesn't for our PTA.

If you have any questions about the nuts and bolts of getting started, comment below!

2 comments:

  1. You are so awesome for jumping in and tackling this. You will be amazing! I can't wait to see all the things y'all do to help the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are getting ready to start fundraising and holding events! I am so incredibly excited!!

    ReplyDelete